Chart Tag Limitations
This article documents some limitations to Windward support of Microsoft Office charts. For more details about Windward support for Microsoft Office charts, see Support for Microsoft Office Charts.
To understand these limitations, it is important to distinguish between the different types of charts.
Office Chart Tags are Tags that look and behave like a Microsoft Office chart. These Tags are only available in Word 2007+ DOCX templates. The output of an Office Chart Tag is an Office chart for DOCX, and a bitmap image for other output formats.
The Chart Tag has existed since long before there was support for Office Chart Tags and Native Charts, and it is still an option. It is the only option in Excel templates. The output of a Classic Chart Tag is always a bitmap image. The Tag Editor for Classic Chart Tags is the same as the advanced Tag Editor for Office Chart Tags, but it also contains formatting pages.
Native charts are regular Microsoft Office charts. These charts are only available in Word and Excel 2007+ DOCX and XLSX templates. The output of a native chart is an Office chart if the output format is the same as the template format. Otherwise the output is a bitmap image.
Charts in the template that are native Office charts rather than Chart Tags are now included in the output:
- If the output type matches the template type (DOCX, XLSX or PPTX), it's an Office chart and will appear exactly as it did in the template.
- If the output format is not Office, it gives a close approximation and is rendered as a PDF chart.
For an Office chart that is a Report Designer Chart Tag:
- Word 2007+ DOCX templates only
- For DOCX output, the chart will appear as is (with updated data)
- For non-DOCX output, the chart will be rendered as a bitmap chart
- When updating the Tag in a Word table, a duplicate sub-table will be generated. This is a Word bug.
- Chart settings (e.g. currency symbols) are hard coded in the template and cannot be changed dynamically at run time.
- For detailed support information, see Support for Microsoft Office Charts.
An Office chart that is not a Report Designer Chart Tag will be handled as follows:
- Word and Excel 2007+ DOCX and XLSX templates only
- DOCX templates output to DOCX, and XLSX templates output to XLSX only
- For DOCX output from DOCX templates, and XLSX output from XLSX templates, the chart will appear as is
- For non-DOCX output, the chart will be rendered as a bitmap image; see Support for Microsoft Office Charts.
- Report Designer Chart Tags can only be used in XLSX templates on the same sheet as the chart.