How Do I Embed One Template Inside Another?
This article covers how to embed one Windward Designer template into another using the Office embedded file functionality.
This functionality was introduced in 16.3.0 release.
Microsoft Office offers functionality for Word and Excel users to embed an existing DOCX, XLSX, or PPTX document inside of another DOCX or XLSX document. Documents can be embedded in this manner by:
- Going to the Insert ribbon of Word or Excel
- In the Text section, opening the drop-down labeled “Object”
- Click Object
- Click “Create from File”
- Click Browse
- Select an existing DOCX, XLSX, or PPTX template from your File Explorer
The selected document will be embedded inside of the current document.
Starting in version 16.3.0, as long as an embedded template's data connections are also connected in the parent template, Windward Report Engines will process the embedded template's Tags during output! Simply:
- Use the embedded document functionality to embed a DOCX, XLSX, or PPTX template inside another DOCX or XLSX template
- Check that the parent template has a connection to each of the child template's data sources.
- Output the parent template.