How Do I Rollback an Office Version?
These steps are based on the Microsoft Office article "How to revert to an earlier version of Office"
Locating the Office Version Being Used
- Start Word
- Click File, and then click Account
- The Office version is listed in the Product Information column, in the About Word section
Install the Previous Version of Office
- Determine and note the previous version number. Use the following Microsoft website to find the update version that is previous to the current version:
Update history for Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise (listed by date)
- Download and run the self-extracting executable file from the following Download Center link. This file contains the Office Deployment Tool executable (Setup.exe) and a sample configuration file (Configuration.xml):
Office Deployment Tool
- Start Notepad and copy the following XML. Then, save the file as Config.xml in the same file location as the Setup.exe file from Step 2.
<Configuration> <Updates Enabled="TRUE" TargetVersion="16.0.xxxxx.yyyyy" /> </Configuration>
Note In the XML, 16.0.xxxxx.yyyyy represents the full version number that you noted in step 1.
Example Config.xml file for version 2104 (Build 13929.20386):
- Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do this, click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator. Switch to the file location for the Setup.exe and Config.xml files.
- Run the following command:
setup.exe /configure config.xml
- Start an Office application (such as Excel), and then select File > Account.
- In the Product Information section, select Update Options > Update Now.
Note If you are prompted to activate Office again, enter your Microsoft account and password. This step does not add your computer to your account a second time.
Disable Automatic Updates for Office
This step is very important. Office automatically checks for updates on a regular basis. To prevent Office from automatically installing new updates, follow these steps:
- Start Outlook.
- Click File, and then click Office Account.
- In the Product Information column, click Update Options button, and then click Disable Updates.